Welcome

Welcome to Annapolis Online. Annapolis Online is designed to be a local resource for Annapolis residents as well as visitors from all over. Browse our pages for a rich history of Annapolis and take a tour from the founding of our country to the present. The goal of our website is to show the great history of Annapolis and the surrounding area.  Please take a moment to browse our pages, as well as our Free Business Directory and our Free Classifieds. 

 

 

Annapolis Online - Home

The William Paca House (at one time known as Carvel Hall) is an 18th-century Georgian mansion in Annapolis, Maryland, United States. William Paca was a signatory of the Declaration of Independence and a three-term Governor of Maryland. The house was built between 1763 and 1765 and its architecture was largely designed by Paca himself. The 2-acre (8,100 m2) walled garden, which includes a two-story summer house, has been restored to its original state.

William Paca (October 31, 1740 – October 23, 1799) was a signatory to the United States Declaration of Independence as a representative of Maryland, and later Governor of Maryland and a United States federal judge.

The Peggy Stewart was a Maryland cargo vessel burned on October 19, 1774, in Annapolis as a punishment for contravening the boycott on tea imports which had been imposed in retaliation for the British treatment of the people of Boston following the Boston Tea Party. This event became known as the "Annapolis Tea Party".

The Hammond-Harwood House in Annapolis is one of the premier colonial houses remaining in America from the British colonial period (1607–1776). It is the only existing work of colonial academic architecture that was principally designed from a plate in Andrea Palladio’s I Quattro Libri dell’Architettura, 1570, (The Four Books of Architecture). The house was designed by the architect William Buckland in 1773-74 for wealthy farmer Matthias Hammond of Anne Arundel County, Maryland. It was modeled on the design of the Villa Pisani in Montagnana, Italy in Book II, Chapter XIV of I Quattro Libri dell’Achitettura.

Fort Severn, in present-day Annapolis, Maryland, was built in 1808 on the same site as an earlier American Revolutionary War fort of 1776. Although intended to guard Annapolis harbor from British attack, it never saw action during the War of 1812. United States Naval Academy acquired Fort Severn, and two other military bases, from the United States Army on 19 October 1845. The Academy used the structure for classrooms until its demolition in 1909.

The City Hall and Engine House, built 1821-1822 by the City of Annapolis, was the first structure erected by the city for municipal purposes. Relatively intact today, the building contributes to the historic district for its architecture and important role as the first purpose-built home of the city government.

We are all familiar with St Anne's located within the center of Church Circle...but did you know that was actually the 3rd St Anne's Church?

 The first church in Annapolis, it was founded in 1692 to serve as the parish church for the newly created Middle Neck Parish, one of the original 30 Anglican parishes in the Province of Maryland.

The Province of Maryland was an English and later British colony in North America that existed from 1632 until 1776, when it joined the other twelve of the Thirteen Colonies in rebellion against Great Britain and became the U.S. state of Maryland. Its first settlement and capital was St. Marys City, in the southern end of St. Marys County, which is a peninsula in the Chesapeake Bay and is also bordered by four tidal rivers.

Anne Calvert, Baroness Baltimore (1615/1616 – 23 July 1649) was an English noblewoman, daughter of Thomas Arundell, 1st Baron Arundell of Wardour by second wife Anne Philipson, and wife of Lord Baltimore, who founded the Province of Maryland colony. Anne Arundel County in Maryland, USA, was named for her. USS Anne Arundel was in turn named after the county.

  •  Start 
  •  Prev 
  •  1  2 
  •  Next 
  •  End 
Page 1 of 2
Go to top